Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Big Fig List

The List.

We're often asked for a comprehensive list of all the Disney "big figures" that Jody and I have worked on together.  And so, here it is.

This is also a fine place to mention that producing these sorts of items is always the result of a team effort.  With few exceptions, these figures were sculpted by other artists, and the success of the character likeness depends as much on their ability, as on our concepts and guidance.

We'd like to acknowledge the exceptionally talented artist Pete Emslie who drew splendid character turnarounds for many of our very best figures, and to Bo Tsai, our favorite sculptor in China.  Sadly, Bo passed away in 2012, but his contribution to worldwide Disney merchandise over many decades is legendary.


2 comments:

The Mur said...

Looking at the Barker bird and Tiki drummer right now in my office!

Major Pepperidge said...

Wonderful. I first saw a Big Fig while working on the Disney lot; it was the Donald Duck, top row next to Pinoke, and I could see him in somebody's office, through a window on the ground floor. I didn't know what it was, but loved the large size and perfect, on-model sculpt (the vintage Duck!). Soon after, I saw more and more, including some in the old Disney stores. I only wound up owning one (still have it), but it's a good one - the Hat Box Ghost. It's awesome!